Saturday, August 29, 2009

Finally A Break!

My efforts to secure a job with an income that would allow Jane to stay home and care for Maggie during her formative years, was on going but with little success.  I knew that being able to spend time with my newborn was really special and I took advantage of it!  We watched Sesame Street, played games, read books and tried to learn how to use the potty.  I felt wonderful when she referred to Jane and I as DaDaMaMa!

As the winter came to it's end and the snow melted it was time for me to go into the fenced back yard and scoop up the dog poop that had been buried in snow for months.  Yes, two dogs leave a lot of debris over a three month period of time.  Jane had gone shopping so I put Maggie down for a nap in her downstairs nursery, which also served as a laundry room.  I wrapped towels around my face, got out some jumbo plastic bags and a shovel and started to clear the yard.  The task was so daunting that I re-thought my approach.  I decided that the job would go a lot faster if I used the garden hose to move the excrement up against the fence and then shoveled it into the bags!  I was sure this method would shorten my dirty task.                      

I  picked up the hose, turned on the water and began moving the unspeakable mess.  Suddenly the water pressure dropped and I looked to see if there was a crimp in the hose, not finding any I shut the water off but the sound of running water continued!  I went into the house and followed the noise downstairs to the nursery where water was pouring through the ceiling!  There was Maggie sound asleep in a room that was quickly filling with water.  I looked up at the ceiling and noticed that the light fixture above her bed was full of water, looking much like a little gold fish bowl!  I grabbed the baby, who looked at me with some alarm and ran back upstairs hauling her around the outside of the building looking for the shut off valve.  By the time I found it I was exhausted and Maggie was not happy.  As it turned out the hose was attached to the spicket all winter and water in the hose froze and cause the pipe to break.                                                                          

By the time Jane returned Maggie had calmed down and I was looking at the bank book to see if we could afford to pay for the repairs!  Then I returned to the miserable job in the back yard and filled many large trash bags and hauled them to the complexes dumpster  Not being very scientific and feeling buoyant over having finished this miserable job, I never stopped to consider what many large black plastic bags filled with dog excrement might smell like by the time the garbage people came three days later!  Everyone in the complex except us, couldn't figure out what that awful odor was.  Needless to say we didn't offer an explanation!

No comments:

Post a Comment