Friday, September 18, 2009

Can A Jersey Boy & An Iowa Girl Adapt To TEXAS?

Jane was quite surprised to see my smiling face come through door after turning down the job in San Francisco. When I told her that Ann understood our concern about the expense of west coast living and made a call to try and get a higher salary but ended up finding another administrators job, this time in San Antonio!  I went on to tell her everything Ann said about how wonderful the city was, in fact that it was her favorite town!  Jane's reaction was predictable, she grabbed the car keys and headed to the library!

She wasn't gone long but returned with an arm full of books and magazines. As we started going through them it became apparent that San Antonio had a lot to offer.  The pictures of the Riverwalk were beautiful and it looked like an older city with a lot of character.  She and I liked the fact that the climate was similar to St.Louis but without the bitter cold winters.  We saw ads for real estate agencies so I made a few calls.  One of them resulted in me getting hooked up with Carolyn, a friendly young woman who was anxious to help us.  She asked how much we had to put down and what size home we wanted.  I gave her a basic idea of our situation and we agreed that she should look through the agencies listing and get back to me later.

A couple of hours passed and Carolyn called back with what sounded like good news to us!  Properties seemed very reasonable.. Jane wanted to know if the houses had basements there and Carolyn said that due to the kind of soil in south Texas having a basement would be very unlikely;  Jane was concerned because she knew that Texas had tornadoes and being from Iowa she knew how important basements were.  Carolyn assured us that the tornadoes we had heard about were way north of San Antonio.    I told her that as I learned more about when we would be moving I would give her a call and she could line up some properties for us.

We went out to dinner that night to celebrate the end of the long transition to gainful employment!

No comments:

Post a Comment